Several Croatian Air Force commanders have been dismissed over the transport of an arms smuggler by helicopter, and their dismissal was proposed by the Armed Forces Chief of Staff Mirko Sundov and approved by President Kolinda Grabar-Kitarovic in her capacity as Armed Forces Commander in Chief.
Following the scandal that happened at the Zemunik air base, a military police platoon commander, a flying platoon commander, and a squadron commander, and the Zemunik air base commander have been replaced, Defence Minister Damir Krsticevic said in the eastern city of Osijek on Tuesday.
Commander in Chief of the Croatian Armed Forces, Croatian President Kolinda Grabar-Kitarovic, sent into retirement Air Force Commander Brigadier General Mato Mikic and appointed Brigadier General Michael Krizanec in his place.
Zadar air base commander Mario Plesa was replaced by Zeljko Ninic.
The decisions were made after it came to light that Air Force pilots had flown a suspected arms smuggler in a helicopter.
Minister Krsticevic said today that the newly appointed commanders were top-notch officers and pilots. He stressed that no weapons or ammunition had been transported.